Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Preparing to fly abroad!


Its almost two months since I visited UK and now I got time now to write about it. The excitement is the same while writing the travel log as it would have been when I was there.



To begin with I would never get excited going abroad and that is one reason I never got my passport done. As lot of my friends while in college had already made their passport either thinking that they will go abroad for further studies or will get married to someone who is there or the least just apply. Once, even my dad had asked me to apply for passport. I seriously never thought of any of the instances to get a passport and was too lazy to fill up one.

Raghu wanted me to apply for passport. It was already a year since I came to Bangalore and I thought it’s the right time to apply one as even at work they asked me to submit my passport. I applied with Raghu’s help. I gave my name as Shwetha Raghuram formally. It was to come in a month or two. I was least bothered as passport was not needed urgently. One day on 3/08/07 my TL called me and informed to me that I may have to travel onsite (to UK) for a month. I was kind of excited, worried (‘coz I did not have a passport then…) I informed him that its nearing a month since I applied for a passport but I have not yet received. Then he told me that within a week you let me know the status of the passport and whether I am willing to go to UK or not.
I informed all at home and all were happy to hear this…I was also happy but I was worried about when will I get the passport. Meanwhile, I informed my colleagues about my onsite opportunity.


On enquiry one of my family friends told me that I need to goto passport office and apply for tatkaal service to get the passport soon. I prepared a cover letter and took a tatkaal appln to submit but on reaching the office along with my father-in-law, one of the officers there told me that I can come and collect the passport on next Monday (i.e. 13/08/07) without the tatkaal service as it was a month since I applied for passport.

I informed the same to my TL here in SAIC India. I was supposed to leave on 24/08/07 as another colleague of mine Lakshmi too was to leave on the same day. I was planning now that if I get my passport on 13/08/07 then the next day I have to apply for UK Visa as 15/08 would be a holiday. I started collecting documents for UK Visa before getting the passport so that there is no delay in applying for the Visa; I kept the travel desk team informed that I will also be traveling along with Lakshmi on the same day and in the same flight. I had to confirm the same to them in a week or so.
Parents, in-laws, Raghu were all happy. I was thinking should I start preparing now or wait for passport and Visa and start shopping, arranging things….etc. Then, I thought its better I start shopping as at the nth moment it is difficult to set things. I wanted to wait till I get passport to proceed confidently.
On13/08/07 I went to the passport office at around 3:30 P.M., I took permission from the office to go there. Around 4:00 P.M. my no. was called and I got my passport. I was too excited as things were going on fine and in its right pace. I would hear my mother-in-law (MIL) always telling that so and so has gone to this country…etc. her. I wanted to go with Raghu but as fate would have it, I got a chance. Things all seemed fine as to say, of wanting to go abroad has come from hearing it was for 3-weeks, office was arranging the stay and I was going with a colleague of mine - Lakshmi. All were happy at home too but my mom was a bit apprehensive about how will I be there.

The next day (14/08/07) I filled the form and had every document ready, I went to the UK VISA office in Bangalore (Cunningham Road). Raghu helped me a lot in arranging the documents to coming along with me to the UK VISA office and reviewing the form in the office. I submitted the form that day and was told that by Monday (20/08/07) I would get the VISA. I was happy as things are happn in the right direction. I would have 3 days time, even if the visa comes delayed in a day or two.

On 18/08/07, I went to shopping along with my MIL and Raghu ----- I wanted to buy formals (Pant + Shirt) but kept on thinking whether it will be useful in the future as I do not wear that attire. I thought let me do the basic shopping and the rest I will do after getting the VISA. I bought some warm clothes, a pair of jeans..etc. I had made a checklist for what all could be required and started buying them and arranging them in my suitcase. I was liaising with Lakshmi too about what was required. Others, who had earlier been there too were advising to what should be taken, how it will be there…etc. All told us to visit London; we tried to book the tickets from India but could not. So, thought once I reach there, we can get it booked. For me than anything I wanted to get the visa to discuss about it with anyone.

I was getting tensed as it was 20/08/07; still the status was your appln has been forwarded to British High Commission on 15/08/07. Everyone were saying by tomorrow you will get the visa. Simultaneously the other procedures were happn. Like, I had to confirm on the date of traveling, enquire from the onsite for the accommodation, shopping, packing….etc. I had not informed any of my cousins about it. I wanted to inform them after I get the visa only. Regarding, the edible stuff my MIL wanted to wait till I get visa to start arranging for it. I even contacted the help center in Chennai to enquire about the visa processing.

On 21/08/07 as everyone told, I got the UK Visa at 3:30 P.M. I was happy as now I really will be going to UK. I informed Raghu, my parents and my in-laws that I got the visa. I also informed my manager, TL and other colleagues that I got the visa. Now, I wanted to inform all my colleagues that I was going to UK. I got the tickets confirmed to fly there. Lakshmi and I were making a list that we should be carrying. I called and informed all my relatives and cousins. At home all the edibles were being prepared by my MIL like Upma Mix, Gojh Awalakki, pickle, Vanghibaath pudi, chatnipudi, kodhbale, chakli,...etc. I also bought Maggie Noodles, ready to eat packets, corn flakes, sambar pudi...basic things like salt, pepper, garam masala, ..etc. All were stuffed in. I kept all warm clothes, a heavy jerkin, and other basic things while traveling. Raghu bought me a new Canon camera with 12x zoom and other hi-fi features. The camera looked great! but I did not know much technical stuff apart from aim and click. He brought me this camera now as he knows that I take photos like crazy.
Now, we need to be concerned about the weight as the limit was 20 kg and many were telling an extra 6 – 7 kg was permitted and a hand baggage of 5 kg was allowed.
At office I was preparing list of questions on which I should request for training. I was preparing on the topic. I was also discussing with others about the places to visit, dos and don’ts there….a. lot of Gyaan indeed was shared. I was flying on 24/08/07 at 18:30 by EMIRATES flight.

On the day – Friday (24/08/07) I was tensed, butterflies were running in my stomach, my MIL was confirming if I will be able to take care when I will travel alone. A lot of relatives were advising on what I can carry…etc. I was having mixed feeling but more excited to go abroad as its my first and I was going on my own official assignment. I was also feeling proud that I could do it on my own (as lot of people would say for girls after marriage husband only will take…..U all go on dependent visa). Raghu took half-day leave and was at home by 1:00 P.M. I packed my suitcase; I had to get the luggage weighed now. I went and got it checked and luckily it was 23 kgs. It was fine. We all at home had our lunch and were planning to leave home to airport at 2:30 P.M. My brother-in-law informed me that he was struck with some work and will not be able to come to Airport. Many of my relatives called me and wished me “Happy Journey”!!

At 2:30 P.M. we all got ready to go to the airport. I was accompanied by my husband, FIL and MIL. I also called my parents and informed that I am also set to leave to the airport. They gave some advice. I reached the airport by 3:15 P.M. there was a huge queue outside the international departures. I stood in the queue and waited for Lakshmi to join me. She reached at 3:40 P.M. and by that time the check – in had already started.
Lakshmi had huge luggage and was weighing 28 kgs and she was worried about that, we checked inside the airport and my family also came inside and was waiting at the visitor’s gate.

We went further inside the airport to collect the boarding ticket, that’s when the luggage gets weighed and they found Lakshmi’s suitcase was heavy (28 kgs), we were thinking what to do but I wanted mine too to be weighed before we take any actions. My luggage was 23 Kgs and we told that we are colleagues going to the same place – hearing this the officer said that he will enter the baggage together and that can be allowed. We were like great!! And asked him for window seats!! We both could not get the seats nearby but it was fine as long as we are in the same flight and we will be able to enjoy the view from the flight. I said goodbye to my family members excitedly before going for the security clearance. We were all set to fly to UK!! We waited for some time after the security clearance and we climbed the Emirates flight to Dubai. Yes, we had to first go to Dubai first (we would reach the Dubai airport at 2100 at their local time) and then catch another connection flight to go to Glasgow Airport. At Dubai Airport, we had time till 7:50 A.M. the next day before we catch the connection flight.

India and Dubai – the time difference is 3 hours
Eg: If its 18:30 in India then it will be 15:30 in Dubai.

India and UK – the time difference is 5 hours and 30 minutes.
Eg: If its 9:00 A.M. in UK then it will be 1:30 P.M. in India (In Summer i.e. till Sept end)
If its winter then the time difference is 6 hours 30 minutes (Winter till March).

No comments: